Saly

salythereader

Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell, #3)

Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell, #3) - R.L. Mathewson Rating 3.5 stars
Crazy book as usual, so don't go looking for sane characters. They are very childish and their antics get annoying as well. Bradfords are the heroine's cousins so they put in an appearance. The hero/heroine have made life hell for each other ever since the hero got on her case when she was small and for 25 years it has gone on. The hero can be dense and at the start he wants to steal her brothers and shut down her business and they both then get the same construction contract. The heroine has always been self sufficient because of being raised as the only girl in a family of men and has always had douche boyfriends. Then the hero blackmails her into pretend dating him and he shows her how she deserves to be treated, like a woman. The hero had fallen in love with her at 18 and had been trying to get the courage to tell her after years of tormenting her but things got messed up, she was drunk and about to be taken advantage of, he intervened and she ended up in jail, her scholarship for college gone and he knew his chance was gone though he did always protect her behind her back. We also find out that the hero has never found much pleasure in sex because none of the women were Rory.

The story is crazy and the characters immature yet the book has its charm. I loved the fact that the hero falls first for her and it takes time for her. He makes her wear the ring he bought at 18, trying to convince her to marry him.