Saly

salythereader

Until There Was You (Coming Home, #2)

Until There Was You (Coming Home, #2) - Jessica Scott Jessica Scott is a brilliant writer who is clearly aware of the military world, the war, the internal politics and differences yet whereas this book is great with the details it is disappointing with the romance. As a reader I do not want sugary sweet romance all the time, I do not even mind bantering but in this book what the characters did was bicker, they bickered so much that they annoyed me and I wanted to slap them.

Evan is dubed "Captain America" by most people because he follows the rules and never stops out of line whereas Captain Claire, formerly enlisted is known for breaking rules and rebelling. Both of them shared a kiss three years ago but since then their clashes are legendary and they do not seem to agree on anything

The heroine came from the ranks so she knows how tough it is and how some orders don't make sense and she rebels and still maintains her friendship with an enlisted Sergeant First Class Reza, protecting him and his drinking and that goes back to her own father who was an alcoholic.

Both the characters were majorly messed up, the hero from his sister's death and the heroine from her childhood. The thing that bothered me was the heroine's judgment, she seemed to hang on to her beliefs no matter what the evidence and seemed reckless about her career. I admire loyalty but she seemed foolish about it to me. I had a hard time connecting with the romance and the characters especially Claire.

Abrasive heroines can be good, but Claire was too much for me and it just seemed like sex between them and I needed to feel the emotion which did not come across that well.

All in all I saw the potential in the book, it just never reached "there".

ARC provided by the author for review.