Saly

salythereader

Fire and Spice

Fire and Spice - Karen van der Zee I kind of liked this book, it didn't have some huge conflict still it was very well written. The heroine is 29 and has spent the past six years overseas but she now feels like putting down roots so she has returned to the States and taken a job as a counsellor, a student which is of interest to her is twelve year old Paul, the son of her neighbour.

Paul seems withdrawn and is not doing well in school despite his old stellar record in Argentina, so she calls in her father, who acts as if it is no big deal and that Paul is still adjusting to leaving everything familiar behind. Even when they go on a date their differing views on Paul get in the way, he tells his son to be tough while she thinks he should be more understanding, soon this conflict is resolved and they are in a relationship and happy.

But the heroine soon sees that in her happiness she is turning a blind eye to the future and that the hero seems to be planning to go overseas again and never talks about the future with her or confide about his past. So, despite it being hurtful she confronts him and breaks it off.

Now, I like a strong heroine who tries to move on and this features that and she involves herself in outside activities and even plans to move herself, when it is the hero who comes to her and begs her to stay.