Saly

salythereader

The Bargain (Men Made in America: Rhode Island #39)

The Bargain - Patricia Coughlin I really enjoyed the Bargain, it started of slow with the heroine Lisa contemplating about men and how armor like being smartly dressed and make-up and an ice-queen persona could keep them away and regretting that she hadn't used it earlier. She's an artist and while on the beach walks Sam, who she's been sketching for a while. Lisa is not very friendly with him and he tells her that he's a marine archeologist between jobs and even he isn't interested since she's not his type.

Lisa walks away to the place where she's been staying. It's historical house and belonged to her paternal family though she never knew them since her father wasn't around and has no interest in it. She's being paid money to stay there for sometimes as the town is trying to fight it's demolition and she's happy enough to just work on ideas there. Sam follows her bringing the stuff she left behind, she's mighty suspicious but invites him in and they get talking. He tells her the legend about how a pirate fell in love with one of her ancestors and when he was about to be hanged for the treasure he got by permission of the king, took his ancestor away.

Lisa hasn't had the best luck, her mother used her, then her first lover and she feels the most foolish about her ex-husband who cheated on her and took away the art she created, so she now if she will be interested in a man, wants someone who is self-reliant and financially stable and Sam doesn't seem to fit in. She feels put off in a way that he doesn't seem attracted to her when she does.

Sam then comes around doing odd repair jobs saying he has permission and much to her chagrin never makes a move on her even when she sometimes feel the spark.

Of course we are made aware early on that Sam has a motive through not very clear phone-calls. They fall for each other and in bed and the next morning Sam feels panicked about losing her, he lied not a very big one but everyone has used Lisa in life and he doesn't want her to feel the same about him, so he proposes marriage not proclaiming his love out loud since he wants to tie her to him and Lisa says yes as she wants him to fall in love with her.

I really enjoyed the story, how these two were opposites and first were just friends then moved on to more and how these two wanted to tie themselves to each other. Sam was so afraid of losing her and what he does to make her forgive him was great. I also enjoyed Lisa coming to her own realization about Sam's actions.