Saly

salythereader

Between Love and Duty - Janice Kay Johnson This is the first book in a series about three brothers. Duncan the hero was eighteen and looking forward to his freedom when his mother walked out and with a drug dealer dad in jail, he was left to take care of his out of control siblings aged 12 and 15, so he gave up his dreams and became a parent more than a brother. Duncan is now on the force and is in many ways alone, he is rigid and strong and used to doing things on his own. His relationship with his brothers is not close, but he managed to make sure that his siblings didn't become criminals. Then, a 12 year old boy and the heroine Jane walks into his life and he changes.

The boy Tito has a dad who has just been released from prison and wants him back. It is upto Jane to decide whether this happens or not. Jane was an optimist in Duncan's eye but she really wasn't. She had been raised in a stifling cult. So, both the h/H had reasons not to want commitment or any involvement.

I liked how the romance gradually takes off. There are naturally stumbling blocks with two naturally wary characters, the hero is used to being in control while the heroine has hang-ups about being controlled. Yet, I loved the book, the romance, seeing Duncan open up to his brother, everything.

On to the next book.