Saly

salythereader

Harder They Fall (Silhouette Desire) - Malek When the book starts the heroine is with her new fiancee, about to meet her brother in law. From the outset we are told her engagement is not a love match. Martin her fiancee is a good man, who helped her family out when they were in a bind due to her father's legal troubles and then proposed to her. She refused at first but being sheltered and having no experience she agreed, since she respected and cared for Martin. Then she meets his brother Chris who takes a dislike to her and even though Martin tells him it is because of his brother's initial upbringing with his alcoholic mother, that has him so suspicious, it makes her uncomfortable and they cut their visit short.

Helene doesn't feel right with the engagement so thinks maybe being intimate may make her feel more, so she loses her virginity but the experience doesn't make her feel differently about Martin and six weeks later she receives a phone call from Chris telling her Martin is dead.

She attends the funeral knowing she is pregnant and when Chris finds out he proposes a marriage of convenience since he doesn't want his brother's child to go through the same stigma he did, of being illegitimate.

At the start things don't go very well between them, Chris took her to be a gold-digger at the start and does his best to ignore her and she in turn does too but for some reason his late night absences and his old girlfriend's make her jealous. All the while the housekeeper tells her to be patient, his childhood has left scars that make it difficult for him to trust.

Soon things do get better, she finds that her jealousies are unfounded and soon they are in love and happy though Chris still has a hard time letting go of his past and how shameful it is and how it isn't fit for her. She tries to make him see that it doesn't matter to her and then they have a fight and while he is gone, she mis-carries.

She decides to leave and file for divorce then, while he is wallowing in guilt. They do work things through.

If I had to describe this book, I would say it was a quick, decent read. I did feel the hero was the one more hung up about his past than anyone else. All in all a decent read.