Saly

salythereader

How to Drive a Dragon Crazy - G.A. Aiken The reviews for this book has been mixed so I went in with low expectations and that worked in my favour. I ended up enjoying the book quite a bit, as always this book's focus is all over, the politics of the dragon world, the wars. The three children are all grown up, Izzy's sister Rhi becoming dangerous in her powers so much so that her mother Taliath is considering sending her to her mother for training(her Nolwenn witch mother kicked Taliath out when she was pregnant at 16).

Izzy has managed to become a General in Anwyl's army, she is tough and dangerous and owns a crazy dog. She is light years away from the girl who was crazy about Éibhear and the hormonal teenager who wanted to experiment and slept with Celyn, Ebhear's cousin. And the dragon god has started talking to her again.

Éibhear was a whiny dragon when we last met him but ten years has passed since then and he has changed and become Éibhear the Contemptible and a full adult. He has spent ten years away from his family in the Ice Lands, becoming a warrior(Mì-runach, the assassins and most dangerous) when he is told to go home. He visits his sister Keita on the way who tells him to escort Izzy home. Éibhear regrets his behaviour with Izzy before when he called her names and he even wrote a letter to her apologizing, a letter Keita tore.

Izzy does not want to go home, she has to kill the ogre leader and she doesn't want to see Éibhear and like all crazy chicks in this book attacks him when the urge strikes her. She also drives him nuts (making of fun of him by calling him uncle) and though I went in not expecting to like her I did, her actions are explained, she was young and curious and was in no way committed to Éibhear, who was immature. In this book Éibhear is not wary of Izzy, he has come on to his own and his reunion with his siblings is hilarious and violent as ever while his brother's mates adore him. Dagmar is still the mannered one while Anwyl is worried, the Kyvich are taking an interest in her daughter.

I liked the overall developments in the book, it showed that you cannot hang on to your children forever, Talwyn leaves with the Kyvich to train and Talan for the monastery and so does Rhi and at the very end we learn that there are more half human and half dragon children out there. I wanted the romance to a bit sappier and to witness the claiming on page but trust me this series has never followed convention so what the hell.