Saly

salythereader

Worth Dying For - Cindy Gerard This anthology is a re-issue of two of Cindy Gerard's old Loveswept books and I was prepared for them to be dated and feel old fashioned but to my surprise I found myself engrossed in the book and loved the simplicity and sweetness of Into the Night and Man Around the House. My overall verdict of the anthology is enjoyable and I found it great to visit Cindy's old writing style before she ventured into Romantic Suspense.

Overall rating 3.75 stars out of 5

Into the Night
4 out of 5 stars

Into The Night was quite a sweet story I must admit and dealt with an older heroine. Jessie is 42 and her divorce a year earlier made her question her self-worth because after twenty-two years of marriage her husband filed for divorce, when she didn't think anything was wrong and now her life has changed, she has suddenly finds herself in a new city and famous for hosting a radio show with her younger and attractive boss Tony. This attraction kind of appals her and then she finds out it is not one-sided. I found the romance to be sweet even if it was fast moving. Tony had never really fallen for any woman so to find himself falling for an employee and one who had a grown daughter and thinking about things like commitment was quite a shock. I loved how he didn't let Jessie wallow in her past and told her that with her fears and doubts she was letting her ex win. Jessie was quite vulnerable yet sweet. There was a sub-plot in the book about a stalker that helped them grow closer. All in all a very sweet romance. Tony was pretty darn charming.

Man Around The House
3.5 stars out of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book quite a lot, Matthew the hero along with his five year old son Joey rescues his new neighbour Katie from the bath-tub and she and her hurricane ways blows his plans all to hell. You see Matthew lost his wife to cancer four years ago and in his grief drank, let his business go which forced his in-laws to take custody of his son. Matthew has spent the last three years rebuilding his life and to get his son back with him, he is even dating the perfect woman, it doesn't matter that Lisa, the woman he is dating is in love with her dead husband, she fits in with his plans. As things happen despite his best efforts he can't stay away from Katie and falling for her and he knows she feels the same even if she is scared of emotional intimacy and tries to back away from him.

From the start it is made clear that Katie is a crusader, something that hasn't been good for relationships and she doesn't think she deserves Matthew and his son or will help him. She has deep scars from her past, her lost child is alluded to but it is not till the very end that we are made aware of her issues. For the most part I enjoyed the book because Matthew was an amazing hero. There was plenty of steam in the book and moments like the chess game and sperm retention syndrome gave me good laughs but what detracted by stars was how long it took for Katie to realize that she was worth the love.

ARC provided by the publisher through Edelweiss.