Saly

salythereader

At the Midnight Hour - Alicia Scott Rating 3.5 stars
The hero was bit of a tortured soul, being a scientist and child genius he didn't have the most fun or easiest childhood instead was always mature and level headed except for when he fell for his wife, which turned out to be a major disaster. His two years of marriage was hell and made him wary of being hurt and then five years ago his wife was murdered and he was blamed. His in laws took his son away and he kind of fell into his work content to be emotionally distant from everyone, but now his kid his home. The hero seems very cold at first, he doesn't talk to his son or call him by name because he reminds him of his mistake and vulnerability. To me it was obvious that his wife had poisoned him by dangling his son's paternity and he has just shut down, content to let the world do its thing and then Liz, the new nanny enters his life and she is not put off for long by his coldness.

Liz too has experienced pain, her childhood sweetheart and husband was killed senselessly a year ago and to move forward she left her loving family. Her charge Andy is a handful, he is morbid and morose and a genius. She slowly brings Andy out of his shell and sees how he yearns for his father. She is wary of Richard too at first, since she doesn't know him that well she can't be sure he didn't do anything to his wife plus there is the fact that his kisses affect her which seems like a betrayal to her because her husband was everything to her. I liked how Liz didn't immediately fall into his plans, she believed in love etc while the hero was a cynic.

What a liked was that Liz had spunk, what sometimes put me off was the air of gloom the book seemed to have especially the huge house they lived and the hero was not an instant hit with me. Still I had read a book in this series and wanted to read the first one.