Saly

salythereader

American Dreamer - Theresa Weir Rating 3.5 stars

If you are looking forward to sunshine and rainbows then Theresa Weir is not the author for you but if you are looking to read something real, often painful in reality then this author is for you.

This book especially the hero Nathan could be pretty dark. He hadn't led the best life, his parents died and he never even finished high school trying to hang on to his family's farm and then he lost part of his heritage in his divorce, so he is a bitter man, who drinks and somehow is not looked upon favorably by the town people. So, when a naive Lark walks up to him talking about some cattle contenment study he is rude and sarcastic and then she discovers a dead body, his ex-wife's, of course he becomes a suspect and because of his drinking the night before he can't recall a thing.

Lark admits she knows nothing about farming or cows and has led a sheltered life living with her older parents. She realizes she is 30 now and has only worked doing research for her father. She doesn't know what to think about Nathan, people in the town are gossip and busy-bodies.

The relationship is very gradual and that worked for me. Lark had fears many of them, she had been assaulted when she was 20 and had gone to college and since then had never tried to stretch herself. In many ways despite what had happened to her, she was sweet and strong.

Overall I enjoyed the book even though it was kind of dark.