Saly

salythereader

The Sheriff's Daughter - Kay Stockham When I started this book I knew it was part of a series but not the fact that the heroine in this one appears as a troubled, confused teenager in the previous instalment that is her father's story.

Carly is the Sheriff's daughter and now that her father is on vacation, everyone keeps to keeping an eye on her especially Liam the one in charge. Liam and Carly have been on friendly terms for years but not really close.

Carly decides to become a foster parent to find out if she can be a mother, she has doubts because her own mother abandoned her and she wonders if she is the same. When Liam hears about it, he asks does her father know, he actually doesn't but Carly is not budging. Liam who himself was in the system until he was adopted at fifteen says she is only setting herself up for pain & that foster kids are too hurt, broken and violent for her.

Liam wasn't always such a model citizen and he has mastered emotional distance, he thinks that helps in his job and doesn't see that he loves his adopted brothers and father instead he sees the way he became hardened and hurt his foster parents hurting them before they could.

I liked their relationship and how it progresses, Liam tells her he doesn't want kids and she tells him at that point that she isn't sure she wants them, their doubts & especially Liam's old memories of being abused come to the surface when he sees a kid just like him. I liked seeing Liam see that he wasn't alone and he cared, that process does take time and takes a huge loss.

I enjoyed the book a lot & want to read about the other two brothers.