Saly

salythereader

One More Time - Karen van der Zee Rating 3.5

The heroine in this book angered me, infuriated me but all the while she made me feel for her, her pain and abandonment issues were so great that even when she fell in love with the hero, she just couldn't grasp it and believe it and instead did everything in her power to drive him away one moment being happy with him, the other moment her other self would take over and she would turn into a shrew.

I loved the setting Africa, the hero is a professor of economics and he just is great to her, taking her out, not accepting no for an answer from her and giving her all the time and space she needs. In the end when she asks him why he kept coming back, he tells her that she may have perfected her barriers, with the jokes and all but he could see through her barriers, her refusals to talk about her mother(who was an alcoholic, who refused to give her away so that she could be adopted), Peter, the guy she said was her first love, so he knew she loved him even when she said she didn't.

I felt for her I really did, she had shut herself down once she turned 13 and lost another foster family she loved, at 16 she fell for Peter who again abandoned her, so she coped the best way she could and just couldn't make herself believe that Mark would stay and that love would last, it was just so sad her fear that ruled her life.