Saly

salythereader

A Man of His Word - Sarah M. Anderson Rating 3.5
When I was reading this book I had serious doubts this was a desire since it had such a different tone and so much going on, deception and mystery.

The heroine is a lawyer when she doesn't want to be, but she has to for her Lakota tribe and her dead brother and family. For years she has been fighting a man called Cecil who wants to build a dam which will flood their rez. The hero Dan is his nephew and the she fires at him to scare him but Dan isn't the scared type, he is successful and brainy.
He doesn't like his uncle and knows there is something fishy going on with the project of his and he can't pin down what. His uncle tells him to sweet-talk the heroine while the heroine's family tells her to do the same.

They play games with each other at first but their attraction is genuine and not fuelled by other things, but their conflict stands in the way. I liked the hero, he had a great heart and was a good man. The heroine had too much of sacrifice in her life, so these two found a place to be alone while the hero worked on a solution but his uncle turned out to be more evil and tried to blackmail the heroine with incriminating picture of Dan and her, which leads to another gun pointing incident.

I liked the book and how we saw the discrimination that exists between the Whites and Indians. We also meet the heroine's ex James who has a book for himself. I liked the author's voice.