Saly

salythereader

Pattern of Deceit - Emma Darcy Rating 3.5

The heroine was quite spunky in this and had a habit of getting the upper hand with the hero, her boss. She left her last job because of sexual harassment and started dressing in an unflattering manner at work and she kept putting the hero in his place, first by saying she preferred younger men and then when one of his lovers called, kind of making fun of his sexual prowess and when he told her to shop for him, buying outrageous stuff.

She had a habit of taking things the wrong way and it stemmed from her past, her parents were famous especially her mother, who was known for younger men and her excess's, she loved her mother but after an argument with the hero realized how she had been suppressing herself for years not to be like her, hiding behind clothes and sharp comebacks and not singing.

The book doesn't have much at the romantic front, I felt it was more about the growth of the heroine and accepting and owning her past and walking beyond those shadows to accept who she was. This acceptance brought along with it her love for the hero, but she still resigned not willing to accept marriage without love.

I actually never thought the hero felt something for her before because she was adept at maintaining distance by calling him sir and not letting in room for any personal conversations and the one time that he kind of angrily made a move on her, her tears stopped him and made him apologize profusely. She actually led the hero on a merry chase and he was not sure of anything with her.

I would recommend reading the book for a strong heroine my only reservation was for the romance, which doesn't come into play till the very end.