Saly

salythereader

Song Of A Wren (Harlequin Presents, #864) - Emma Darcy

Well this book had a lot going on, the heroine was like a waif, prone to crying since she had lost her father. She was 23 and wasn't that confident and didn't see the beauty in herself or her talent when it came to composing and she didn't see how her roommate of six months Tony had deeper feelings for her. She went to his house for Christmas as a friend where his family assumed she was more and she asked Tony to tell them that is not the case. From the start she took a shining to his older brother Robert, but she was shy and not self confident and prone to belittling herself.

Now, the hero doesn't get that much of page time. He is quite cynical but loves her music and they almost make love, he stops when he finds out she is a virgin. She is hurt, and doesn't know what to do and he backs off. Then Tony kind of warns his brother off, she doesn't realize it is because he has feelings for her. I have to admit the heroine was like those old Victorian chicks, prone to crying jags and feeling down about herself.

The book was quite dramatic there was this scene when she pours her heart out in a song and the hero kisses her, then Tony hits the hero, taking her home, where she is hurt and hysterical and thinks her virginity is what is keeping Robert away and that she is not desirable and asks Tony to take it, he almost does, but she comes to her senses. The brothers then get into a brawl about her and both of them want to win her. She of course loves only one and the normally reserved hero tells her what he feels the next day. We also see the beginning of a romance for Tony and I have to admit I have rarely read such a book.