Saly

salythereader

Great Escape - I have to admit I have rarely read a book that featured such a gutsy and ingenious heroine. I mean she had spunk and she was so damn mature. She had a great life till she was 14, then she lost her parents and her aunt and uncle took her guardianship, making her life miserable. They got rid of everything familiar to her and when she turned 17, she found herself so miserable that she contemplated suicide but she had zest for life and carefully planned her escape, wanting to get away from the unhappiness caused by all the money she stood to inherit.

And for nine months she has managed to best the man her aunt sicced on her. Evading him at every turn and even when he catches up to her, she escapes, drugging him and what not.

We see the hero Mike start to understand her and that she is not a normal runaway teenager but a mature woman who knows what she wants, and who managed to build a life for herself beyond the moneyed world she belongs to.

I liked the depiction of Dee as someone so strong and so unhappy that she had to get away. Her money had brought only unhappiness and mercenary people. Mike slowly understood the reasons she didn't want to go back and helped and protected her as well as restoring her faith in humanity.

The romance didn't feel ick to me at all, the hero was 29 and she almost 18, but her maturity was beyond her age.