Saly

salythereader

The Man Behind The Cop (Harlequin Super Romance) - Janice Kay Johnson Rating 4.5

There is something about the author's style that pulls me in, there are no billionaire's or sheikhs, just normal people with baggage and their journey towards a better future while dealing with what life has dealt them. I really like the simplistic way in which this author writes, it pulls you in.

The way the hero, a cop who comes from an abusive house-hold is able to voice the fears of battered women and give them hope really touched me. His words were just so powerful when he was teaching them moves to defend themselves.

The hero could never help his mother since she never wanted his help so he has made it his life's aim to help those he can, so he gives back by being a big brother to a 12 year old Trevor with a troubled home life(abusive alcoholic father who his mother kicked out & an addict mother) and now teaching self-defense to women (at a clinic called A Woman's Hand) who have been raped and battered. It is there he meets the heroine Karin who is a psychologist there.

Karin came from a normal childhood, no major traumas in life, working with these women for the past five years have made her a bit cynical about men and she tries to help her patients the best she can. After the session is over, she witnesses her patient Lenora being attacked by her abusive husband who she just left and she freezes, luckily the hero is not that far away.

The book has two plot-lines one about Lenore who is put in a coma and her husband absconds with her two young children and the search for them and Trevor, whose mother disappears and the re-occurrence of his father who claims to have turned over a new leaf, sober and given custody of his son.

Along this runs the relationship between the hero and heroine, standing in the way is the hero's belief that he doesn't want to tempt fate by committing to anyone. Their first intimate experience is raw, scaring them both in its intensity after that they tone back stuff. I enjoyed the relationship a lot, it was great and what I loved especially was the heroine making the hero see that he did want to be the father (re:Trevor) and that people could change and reform (re:Trevor's father).

I especially loved the moment that the hero was pushed to the limit and saw his true mettle. All in all I loved the book.