Saly

salythereader

Delinquent Daddy - Linda Kage I really enjoyed this book, it was a very well done second chance at love story and I loved the fact that we get to go back in time and see the start of the relationship and even the end of it. Most of all what worked for me was that the author could convincingly show that the hero Boston had matured from the 22 year old selfish jerk he had been.

When the book opens, it is raining and the hero is remembering the best sex of his life, which happened nearly a decade ago with the heroine in the rain, so he is surprised when he goes to his brother's and finds him reading a letter that he got from an almost ten year old, calling him his father. When he looks at the letter the mother's name jumps at him, it is Ellie's and the girl's name is what they discussed keeping for their child and Boston is hit with the fact that it is possible Ellie did not have a mis-carriage.

So, in a daze he goes to the address the letter mentions, learns from the neighbour that Ellie does live there and then he sees her. She looks almost the same and is still sexy. Her reaction to his presence is not happy, she seems shocked, almost panicked but invites him in and Boston gets to the point and asks her did she lie, Ellie seeing no choice admits that she did.

For Ellie her daughter Cassie is her whole life. Ellie herself lost her parents at a young age and was raised by an aunt that wasn't always there, so she was determined that her daughter wouldn't want for anything and she has succeeded but she soon realizes that the few questions she answered to assuage her daughter's curiosity about her father has led Boston back into her life and she isn't happy, she fears losing her daughter.

Ellie had reasons for lying to Boston. There was a time she adored him and would have done anything for him and forgiven him for almost anything but now she doesn't care. She gave him his heart and virginity but he didn't give her anything instead he treated her like a dirty secret never telling his family about her because he was ashamed of her humble roots and never telling her that their relationship carried an expiry date(when he left for law school). From what she knew he cheated on her she learns later that he really didn't, he was at a party and realized that he was too much into her, so he went home with a girl, kissed her & took off her shirt, but that is it, he couldn't do anything else because he realized she wasn't Ellie., when she told him she was pregnant accused her of trapping him and acted badly, so she told him she mis-carried since she didn't want to live with his resentment and stand in the way of his ambition and he left immediately.

So, Boston was not my favorite character when we see the flashbacks but I came to like him and I admired him because he forgave Ellie for keeping his daughter from him and was sensitive to Ellie's feelings about being away from her daughter and let her set the time-table. He was also ashamed of his behaviour in the past and losing her had changed him and made him a better person. I also loved his family, how they took to Ellie and berated Boston when he did something wrong like taking Cassie out to eat or even the reasons for their break-up.

Even when they meet again the chemistry is still there but Ellie has to deal with her daughter and she has no intention of letting Boston hurt her again, so what if she has moments of weakness when they kiss, she doesn't want to get back together again and I loved her for that, even when Boston blurts out his love for her and is willing to do anything for them to try again.

I do so much admire a heroine who can stand up for herself and her trust issues seemed normal, given their past.

All in all I enjoyed the book and will give Hot Commodity(the cousin Cameron's and Olivia's) a try.