Saly

salythereader

Afterglow - Cherry Adair Rating 3.25

To be honest the entire setup of this book was bat-shit crazy and I shouldn't have enjoyed it but it still kind of worked. The hero is a former Hollywood stunts-man turned security business owner who doesn't know what happened at his event, all the guests were drugged and lost all inhibitions, indulging in an orgy. He asks his friend for help and he sends Lodestone agent and his ex fiancee Dakota.

Rand is not happy to see her and has had no contact with her since he broke it off with her two years ago on the phone, thinking that she was responsible for his mother's death and father's incarceration. They met three years ago at his father's party, since she was a chemist who worked with his father, staying in two different cities their relationship was whirlwind, most of it spent in bed.

Dakota too isn't that happy to see him, she gave him everything, her love and he rejected it and called her a liar, cheat etc without letting her explain anything. He called her the love of his life and didn't even have trust in her. She has spent the past two years re-building her life, first time spent in hospitals when she was injured in the lab explosion and then using her abilities.

The only reason she has come is because she suspects the drug she helped develop is the one being used to cause terror and she wants to stop it. Rand didn't know about her abilities, touching an object and getting things from it and is skeptical about them, but she proves herself.

I didn't want to like Rand because in my book he didn't treat Dakota well, but well when the entire evidence that turned him came to light it was a little believable because all of them had been setup in an elaborate game. Should he have demanded an explanation from her, yes but Dakota seemed willing to forgive him too easily, not even letting him complete his apology.

There were a few things I didn't like, like the fact that Rand said something bad to her and the next moment they are getting it on, I didn't like it all, I would have preferred a physical relationship to happen after he had made up for his actions and not just because she desired him and hadn't been with anyone since him. I don't like the heroine to come across as desperate at all and somehow Dakota seemed too willing to take him back.