Saly

salythereader

The Millionaire Bachelor - Susan Mallery The Hero: Reclusive millionaire who doesn't venture out of his house due to the scars he received in the car crash that killed his wife & refuses to get them repaired due to guilt. He has been talking to the heroine on the answering service for two years & when she is injured, takes her to his home to help since she reminds him of his late wife, comes from a less than stellar family, doesn't have much confidence and he wants to make up for his sins, so makes her his project.
His guilt is because his wife was his best friend & as a joke to rebel against his family he suggested they get married & then realized it was a mistake but his wife loved him, the marriage turned out to be a disaster since he couldn't make himself love her & desire her, so at a party drunk when a woman came on to him, he kissed her(having no intention to sleep with her), his wife caught him and she died the same night. So, now he keeps punishing himself since she was such a good person and he failed her.

The Heroine: Has body and esteem issues, grew up with an alcoholic mother so never really got close to others and after she died she never took chances. She loves talking to the hero & pretends to be more exciting, when he finds her she is embarrassed but they are friends and she lets him help her, soon she loses weight, takes a job with him and thinks that he loved his wife too much. She makes the move for a physical relationship knowing it won't be more, but when she finds out that she is only a way for him to feel better about himself, freaks, finds out she is pregnant and walks out.

The hero soon figures himself out.

Verdict: I didn't really mind the book that much or even like it. I just felt something was missing in the book, mainly because I don't like a third character overshadowing everything. For most of the book he felt so guilty and then when she goes away he finally manges to deal with things he hadn't for three years.