Saly

salythereader

Once a Hero... (Harlequin Blaze) - Jillian Burns What an emotional book. It wasn't merely about the sexy times as Blazes usually are instead it handled many deeper issues, healing from a tragedy, a hero, an army doctor suffering from PTSD and nightmares about not saving people and a heroine who when we meet, seems happy at the surface and then we find out at 21 she was diagnosed with breast cancer, went through hell and three and a half years later is determined to live life to the fullest.

So, she takes a chance asking the hero out. We see the hero grappling with flashbacks even when he is wide awake while the heroine wants to move forward but is scared of revealing her scars to a man. Their first night together goes well but then the hero freaks about, about the heroine's life expectancy and hurts her in the process. I liked how he made up for it and enjoyed the end when we see the hero work to get through his issues.

I also enjoyed the friend's story. What I liked the most about this book was that it took two damaged people and made us experience their healing and falling in love.