Saly

salythereader

On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves I normally don't enjoy survival stories or even stories with older women, but this one was written so well and the way things progressed seemed natural.
Anna is a teacher who took a summer job helping TJ, a sixteen year old boy, catch up with his peers after he went into remission from Hodgkin's lymphoma.
The job is also a chance for Anna to decide what she wants because after being in a relationship for eight years she wants marriage and kids and her boyfriend doesn't seem to want the same.

However things don't go as planned and their pilot has a heart-attack and they crash and find themselves on an island, both city goers ill-equipped to handle what fate has served them. I found their struggles realistic, hope that help would come but it didn't, trying to learn how to build a fire, failing many time before they succeed and somehow three and a half years pass and they mature, become friends and their age doesn't seem to matter. TJ grows into a man his age not withstanding, they see dolphins, survive bat and shark attacks, health-scares, moments of despair missing their loved one's and come to depend on each other and their relationship progressing to an intimate level seemed natural.

But back in the real worlds the problems come back, the press is judgmental and TJ fears losing her and so does Anna because of her age and she is at a stage in her life when she wants something different and doesn't want TJ to miss out. So, they fight and break up, both miserable, TJ tries to do what Anna said was normal go out with friends party but it doesn't seem him and they make their way back to each other and create their own space and life.

I enjoyed the epilogue & the book.