Saly

salythereader

Dead Reckoning - Linda Castillo Dead Reckoning by Linda Castillo was a good read. I enjoyed how the characters were all tortured.

Kate Megason is an assistant DA. She loves her job and is too dedicated to it. She works and works and people call her a ball-buster but she cares deeply hides it. As a 17 year old she and her twin were brutalized, with her sister ending up in a convalescent home and she with guilt and her life changed forever. So, justice matters to her, that is all she has. Her parents never got over what happened and instead hurt her. She gets handed a high profile case that could make her career.

Frank Matrone was a cop, he was also a reservist when he was injured badly in Jerusalem and lost the woman he loved, his life has gone downhill since then. He wallows in his grief and pain and also suffers from chronic pain so bad that he mixes his pills and alcohol. His friends seeing his condition offer him a chance, to work as an investigator in the DA's office. Hi start is less than auspicious, he walks in late and acts as if it doesn't matter and Kate she is a stickler for punctuality, she tries to get him removed but her boss owes a favor and it is an election year.
Frank is bit of a smart-ass in the beginning but slowly that changes. He finds that their case is not totally open and shut and more is involved. Kate starts getting threats and someone tries to scare her with the past.

The book was great, with a good pace. The relationship is gradual and nothing immediate. There is a lot of working together and getting to know each others history, coming to terms with the past. Frank saves Kate from doing something and that moment was great for me. There were a lot of things going on in the book and I enjoyed it a lot and never felt a lack of romance or anything even though things finally happen after quite a long time.